The discovery of atoms

I remember my nostalgic years at school when I was just sitting in class waiting for the lunch break to come so I can eat my delicious homemade sandwich, I was always competing with friends about who brings the most delicious one. I even remember the day where I was the only one within my friends who brought a sandwich, I was eating it with fever. Then a friend of mine whispered to me that he's going to give me something precious but it must be kept secret, I believed him, we hid in the toilet and then he looked at me like he's going to rape me, he said: " I want my part ". I ended up giving him a piece of the booty, not the other booty, I mean the sandwich.
But the other small devils smelled something fishy so they followed us and we were busted. I felt like I was talking with a drug dealer, unfortunately as well, I ended up sharing my sandwich with all, a piece for you, piece for you,.  I watched it evaporating and dividing as more guests came in, I even ended up dividing my final piece into four other pieces, I guess all I put into my stomach was its delicious smell.
 Well, It was just a fun story to share with you all and of course, every story has a moral. What if the whole school came to participate in this global feeding, what if everyone kept asking for a piece?
If I keep dividing an object into smaller and smaller pieces eventually, at a certain moment, the divisibility would become impossible as we achieve the smallest particle within that object, this is the first idea that ignited the whole concept of the atomic science! don't worry it wasn't me but another philosopher centuries ago who wondered about the infinite divisibility of a piece of bread and so he called the tiniest particle "atomos" which stands for uncuttable, even the description isn't valid today because we all know that atoms have smaller components but it is still attributed.


Comments

Popular Posts